Tuesday 28 July 2009

BRCA National – Round 3 – Cotswolds

This weekend saw the BRCA National series visit the excellent facility at Cotswolds.

Again, it would be myself and Tristan flying the Team Sidcup flag against the best in the country !

We headed up after a bit of a delay on the Friday due to a number of bad things happening to Tristan on the day, not a good start !

Saturday was a beautiful day and I’ve got to say the track is one of the best I’ve been to so far in the country.  Excellent mix of grip, technicality and speed needed for a good run here.

I soldered in my replacement motor (after blowing one up at the STCC) and went out for practise, taking it easy.  Disaster struck and it went up in smoke after about 2 minutes :(

This meant I had no more 6.5 motors to run other than the one from my wet car, so I ended up having to qualify using 5-cell packs and a 7t delta I had in the box.

After the end of the day I was 33rd overall and had a huge task of cycling all the cells that night in order to get some punch into them for the next day’s qualifying and finals.

I needn’t have bothered though as the weather on Sunday morning was WET WET WET.  This meant that we ran the wet cars for qualifying.  A lot of people chose not to run in the wet or had problems running, so I jumped up to 29th overall after qualifying, meaning that I’d made a C final for the year (I was over the moon)

I recorded two 5th place finishes in the first two finals which were both wet, and didn’t run in the 3rd as it was dry and the car was glitching a bit.  It turns out that the car was fine, just a bit of moisture somewhere that was taken care of after I got home with a liberal squirting of wd-40

All in all a good result for the weekend !

No comments: