Monday 22 June 2009

BRCA National – Round 2 – Halifax

I went to Halifax this weekend for the 2nd round of the BRCA National series along with Tristan.

Controlled practise was on Saturday morning with qualifying starting in the afternoon.

The weather was a bit hit and miss with rain falling in between heats throughout the day.

1st practice was in the dry car, but the 2nd practise was with the wet car.

Qualifying started soon after and the weather stayed dry.  I had a bit of a mixed bag of results.  The first run was good but I didn’t finish the next two completely.

Tristan had a few good runs during the day and was on for making the D final in Pro stock.

We headed back for the hotel and had some food & drinks before heading back to the room and making a few changes that we hoped would help improve the runs the next day.

My car was was understeering slightly on corner entry but oversteering slightly on corner exit, so I went from 600cst oil in the front and 400cst oil in the back to 500cst all round in the hope that it would make the car a little more stable.

Sunday morning’s qualifying came round and I was happy that the changes did indeed stabilise the car the way I’d hoped.

I had better results in the last 3 rounds of qualifying and was on for a quick 17 lap run (avg 17.99, quickest was 17.5) when I had a weird issue with the car.  I was at top speed on the straight about to enter the sweeper when I lost steering !  The car flew off the end of the track into the barrier and that was run over :(  When the heat had finished, I checked the car over and luckily nothing was broken, so I switched it back on and the problem was gone…

My overall qualifying meant that I was starting 4th in the D final, which I was happy with as I had three good runs, although a little disappointed that I missed out on the quickest run I could do.

I ended up 4th overall in that final and Tristan ended up 7th overall in the E final of prostock.  In my 2nd final I was leading with two laps to go, when a motor wire unsoldered, followed by another one.  too much heat :)

I managed to get a few videos done of the racing, which are on my youtube channel at www.youtube.com/user/Aomircko

No comments: